Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Drowning Wave

Yesterday, a boy, fishing on the pier, was pulled into the ocean by a giant wave.

The day was warm, a perfect day for outdoors activities. For people living near the beach, fishing on the pier was the perfect thing to do that day. Like most local boys, Tony S-----later and Alan B--- (both age 15) went fishing around noon.

Everything seemed fine, the day was nice, and they had caught 4 fish by 3. However, an unexpected wave hit them as they sat waiting for their next catch, pulling Tony into the ocean.

“This huge wave came and just knocked me flat”, said Tony, “There was nothing I could do to stop myself going over the edge and into the sea.”

As any good friend would do, Alan jumped into the ocean to save his friend.

“[Tony] is a good swimmer, but he couldn’t get back to the pier. I didn’t think; I just jumped in to try to help him”, he said.

However, neither of them could swim against the strong current that forced them out to sea. It was a third person, Mark S--------, which saved the kids. Luckily he was a qualified lifesaver at a local pool, and immediately jumped in to help them, pulling first Tony, then Alan out of the water.

“No I don’t think of myself as a hero. I don’t want any fuss made. I just did what anyone else would have done”, He said.

The boys were taken to a St Margaret’s Hospital. The police are investigating reports of the pier being not safe for fishing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment